Saturday, July 22, 2006

How to be happy

I don’t read many books; haven’t got the time; slow reader. But I love book reviews. In the Guardian’s Review section today there is a fine one by James Flint about Jonathon Haidt’s "The Happiness Hypothesis". I’m almost certain that I’ll never read the book but the review contains the bones of the thesis. "psychologists have only recently begun to realise: "that there are really two information processing systems at work in the mind at all times: controlled processes and automatic processes"....... Happy people are the ones in whom the interaction is smooth, in whom the gears mesh, in whom the different levels add up to a more or less coherent whole ...... I don't think I've ever read a book that laid out the contemporary understanding of the human condition with such simple clarity and sense"

I must try to incorporate this theory into my developing hypothesis about why right-wingers (and extreme left-wingers) seem so cross all the time......

4 Comments:

At 17:48, Blogger Bob Piper said...

Who are you calling F*****g cross!

Welcome back.

 
At 11:00, Blogger Hughes Views said...

Bob, you can't be a real extremist, your sense of humour is too well developed. The ones I'm thinking of never laugh, the world's too awful and its peoples too oppressed by evil capitalist for smiles.....

Thanks for the welcome, my return may only last as long as it goes on raining and I can't go out to play. Enjoy Italy.....

 
At 11:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back!

Was very cross that you seemed to have disappeared from blogging.

 
At 09:47, Blogger Hughes Views said...

Thanks Cathryn, I hope your blog is thriving at its new home....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home